Just so you know, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We have a full affiliate disclosure that you can find under here.I am not a doctor, lawyer, psychiatrist, therapist, or your mother, and I don’t play one on the internet. NO information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.
Do you love s’mores but never seem to have a roaring fire available to make them in? Well here’s the solution, The Best Gluten Free S’mores Cookies!
S’mores Are The Bomb!
I love s’mores, always have. I prefer mine with dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate (too sweet for me) and my marshmallows nice and crispy.
The problem is that I am never around a fire pit when I’m craving them. The last time I made actual s’mores was about 5 years ago. I have bought the ingredients on to make them on several occasions but never get around to making them.
Then while scrolling Facebook I saw an ad for cookies made from cake mixes. I was intrigued so I clicked on it and voila, there were 9 nifty little recipes to make some pretty amazing cookies and one of them was for s’mores cookies.
The problem was that all the ingredients/recipes were calling for regular ingredients which won’t work in our gluten free household. Our daughter is a Celiac and we keep the house at 99% gluten free.
I bought a gluten free chocolate cake mix, graham crackers, and mini marshmallows and gave it a whirl! Well let me tell you, it was a total hit! They make look a little rough around the edges (I go for the taste before beauty), but don’t let that fool you, they taste AMAZING!!!
The Best Gluten Free S'mores Cookies!
- 1 package gluten free chocolate cake mix (Hodgson Mill brand worked well)
- 3/4 cup gluten free mini marshmallows (Dandies brand but prefer Campfire brand)
- 3/4 cup gluten free graham crackers, crushed (Kinnikinnick foods brand worked well because they are a denser cracker that held up to baking)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup gluten free chocolate chips *optional, I like Enjoy Life brand
- 1. Combine the cake mix, oil, and eggs. Then fold in the marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate chips if you are using them. (The batter may look dry, but it is fine)
- 2. Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop our a golf ball size of cookie dough, roll in your hands to form a ball (helps keep the ingredients in the dough) and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 10-12 minutes.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t let the fact that I need to cook gluten free stop me from altering “regular” recipes. I figure what do I have to lose? I may lose ingredients which would suck because they are expensive, but fortunately, that doesn’t happen very often. I am rather adept at tweaking things.
I will always try, especially if I think it is something my daughter will love. I do what I can to make her feel like she is “normal”. I also believe that eating gluten free doesn’t have to be bland.
Do you like s’mores? If so, what are your favorite flavor combinations? If you are more of a pie person, here is my go-to gluten free pie crust.
I hope you enjoy The Best Gluten Free S’mores Cookies as much as my family has.