Just so you know, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We have a full affiliate disclosure that you can find under here. I am not a doctor, lawyer, psychiatrist, therapist, or your mother, and I don’t play one on the internet. NO information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.
Can you get glutened from kissing? What??? Now kissing isn’t even safe! If you have Celiac Disease, a gluten allergy, or even a gluten intolerance, you could get glutened from kissing.
Can you get glutened from kissing?
Your First Kiss
You are on your first date with your new crush and you are a Celiac. Presumably, you have told your crush that you are a Celiac and have some dietary restrictions, like no gluten; however, have you ventured into “rules” for kissing? Probably not as it’s your first date.
Can you get glutened from kissing? – Things to consider before you get your smooching on…..
- Has your date eaten gluten recently (as in their last meal)?
- Has your date had an alcoholic beverage that contains gluten?
- Did your date chew gum or candy that may contain gluten? (possibly since it’s a date and they don’t want their breath smelling like garbage)
- Has your date brushed his/her teeth or used a mouthwash that contains gluten?
- Is your date wearing lipstick, chapstick, or makeup that contains gluten?
- Does your date have a beard or mustache? If so, there may be gluten crumbs hanging out there.
Microscopic amounts of gluten can make a Celiac sick.
Guess what, it gets better… I know, a little sarcastic but it comes naturally. You can also get glutened by kissing other areas besides the mouth. Many lotions, creams, body sprays, etc. contain gluten. Even an innocent kiss to the forehead or hand can make you spend way more time in the bathroom than you intended.
Fun times!! So what are you to do???
Can you get glutened from kissing? – Risk Management
- First and foremost, tell your date what Celiac Disease is and that gluten is your enemy. Education is key.
- It’s a bit much to expect your date to go gluten-free for you right away, but that is also an option.
- Have your date brush their teeth and rinse with mouthwash (make sure the ones he/she is using are gluten-free).
- Wait a minimum of an hour after your date has ingested gluten before kissing (**I still recommend brushing and rinsing).
Can you get glutened from kissing? – Parents of Celiacs
Hey, that’s me!!!
You will have to have this talk with your teen in addition to the sex talk. This is a part of their life now and they need to be made aware of the risks and how to keep themselves safe and healthy.
My Celiac daughter is 13 and no, I didn’t want to think about her dating (she’s my baby!) or kissing; however, I’m not an idiot and know a stolen kiss could happen at school (an has, just a peck, but the horror, lol!!). Fortunately, she has realized that for now, dating is too complicated so she isn’t really interested.
However, in our current times, kids kissing each other, even kissing friends isn’t seen as taboo. In some cultures, it’s even a greeting. When we lived in Italy, it was common for men and women to kiss friends and family on each cheek when they first saw them or even when saying goodbye. Granted, those are just pecks on the cheeks and more than likely wouldn’t cause someone to be glutened, but you never know some Celiacs are extremely sensitive to gluten.
The key point in ALL of this is communication!! As an adult dating (or even a kid), you MUST communicate your health concerns with whomever you date! Don’t assume you won’t get sick and don’t assume your date will run. Your Celiac diagnosis isn’t going away so if you truly want to date, just be honest and yourself (truly the best way to go regardless).
Parents MUST talk to their kids about the risks. I personally don’t believe the stance of abstinence is the way to go (don’t shoot the messenger). I believe in honesty and arming my Celiac daughter with factual information about what can happen if she isn’t careful and how to be responsible when she does decide to kiss someone.